Redhair and Daffodil Friend
Redhair and Daffodil Friend is set in the fantastical coastal city of Brinepoint. It is a story about friendship, loyalty and minding your own business. It is about living with uncertainty at a time when learning to take responsibility is a challenge.
The two inseparable sisters are left home alone guarding Brinepoint’s unique magical defences against extreme winters and summers. Lurking in the shadows is a shady guy determined to make money from the magic. How will the diligent girls prove themselves when left in charge? How will they cope when time and nature confuse the seasons while their mam is far away, sharing the magic?
Publisher : CJ Waterfield (25 Oct. 2022)
Language : English
Hardcover : 80 pages
ISBN-13 : 978-1739746902
Reading age : 8 – 12 years
Dimensions : 15.24 x 0.97 x 22.86 cm
Redhair and Daffodil Friend – a tale about friendship, loyalty and minding your own business
- beautiful full-colour illustrations by the award-winning illustrator Fruzsina Czech.
- will make a perfect gift for lovers of folk and fairytales.
- written for the enjoyment of adults and young people.
- explores rites of passage blending familiar traditional fairy tale tropes within recognisable industrial and coastal landscapes merging traditional folk culture with themes of citizenship and climate responsibility.
- concerns sisterhood and working motherhood. The sisters Redhair and Daffodil Friend are the daughters of the accomplished female engineer, Sea Potato Mam, Governor of Brinepoint.
- contains themes of absent parents, adoption and coping with family illness.
- will stir up discussion about climate, greed, fairness and citizenship.
- will provide scope for creative explorations and responses through drama, storytelling, art and music.
- will be a rich source for creative project work in the classroom.
What readers have said:
- “It is a joy.”
- “I bought this for my Grand Daughter but couldn’t resist a quick look and ended up reading it all. It’s a delightful tale that incorporates some very important “life lessons” to help the young reader navigate their own life going forward. Congratulations to the author for a first book that does more than just help the reader pass the time by reading a story, it’s much more than that! ” (Amazon review)
- “A lovely book with a mix of realism and folktale ‘magic’. Beautifully presented and illustrated. The themes are very relevant for our world in 21C. The characters are delightful. ” (Waterstones review)
- “Its gentle irony and structure really appealed to me and will, I am sure, do so to younger readers. Your use of language is extending with a contextual clarification…. It’s a pleasing item to hold never mind read. “
- “It is a thing of beauty.”
|Dimensions||22.86 × 15.24 × 0.97 cm|